Travel Abroad Current COVID-19 Procedures
These procedures are subject to change and are updated using a variety of reliable global sources.
For the purposes of this document, the terms “student,” “participant,” and “passenger” mean any person taking part in any Davidson-Davie Community College study abroad program, including current Davidson-Davie Community College students, faculty, and staff, as well as any external community members.
The college will carefully assess program viability based on established criteria 120 days before the start of each Study Abroad program. Participants should also cautiously assess the situation based on their personal comfort level and risk tolerance.
The following conditions must be met in order for programs to automatically proceed:
- Department of State (U.S. DOS) travel advisory for the host country is at a level 1 or 2
- CDC travel notice for the host country is at a level 1 or 2
- Davidson-Davie has not implemented policies restricting travel
- The host country allows entry of student visitors
Study abroad leaders may petition the International Education Emergency Response Committee to lead study abroad programs in countries labeled as State Department “Level 3: Reconsider Travel” or Level 4: Do Not Travel based on the criteria outlined below:
- The Travel Advisory is Level 3 or 4 primarily because of COVID-19 incidence and not for other common risk indicators, such as political violence, famine, civil unrest, etc.
- The student provides proof of full vaccination against COVID-19
- The host country’s healthcare infrastructure is resilient (resource: SOS International)
- The host country’s COVID-19 risk is within acceptable limits (assessment tools include: Brown School of Public Health, CIEE’s Health Risk Index, etc.)
- The host country’s COVID-19 vaccination rate is moderate (resource: University of Oxford)
- The host country must be open to U.S. travelers and does not require quarantine upon arrival (resource: US Embassy Directory)
- The program is offered through an approved study abroad provider or exchange partner with robust on-ground support in-country
- Participants must sign a waiver acknowledging increased risk.
Student Health and Safety Recommendations
All study-abroad participants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Per the Study Abroad Participant Agreement signed at the time of application, program participants are:
- Expected to comply with local government and host program/institution rules, expectations, and compliance requirements. Behavior or conduct which violates laws or standards could harm the health and the safety of the individual and other program participants.
- Subject to the Davidson-Davie Code of Student Conduct
- Program participants are expected to follow CDC recommendations while in-country and upon return.
- If required by the host country, program participants may be required to complete a COVID-19 test upon arrival
In general, program participants will not receive a full refund if the study abroad program is set to run within 120 days. Before that point, all money paid directly to the college will be refunded. Please contact your program leader for details.
- Program participants will be subject to the cancellation policy of the study abroad provider.
- Davidson-Davie cannot provide refunds for any monies paid to outside entities.
- While traveling abroad, health insurance will be provided by Davidson-Davie and will cover treatment of COVID-19.
- Program participants will have the option to purchase trip cancellation insurance.