Apply Now

Current Students

Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions

Open Sidebar

Study Abroad Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to participate in a study abroad program?

Yes. All study-abroad participants must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Davidson-Davie cannot assume the risk of a participant becoming seriously ill in another country.

How old do I have to be to travel on one of Davidson-Davie’s study abroad programs?

Participants must be at least 18 years old by the time the Study Abroad Program runs. Exceptions can be made for Early College or CCP students who will be 16 years old by the time the program runs. Any participant under the age of 18 will need permission from a legal guardian.  Some programs require that all participants be 18 years old. 

Do I have to be a student to travel on one of Davidson-Davie’s study abroad programs?

Participants can be Davidson-Davie students or community members, but everyone must take the curriculum or Continuing Education class. All participants are expected to participate in all program activities.

Do I have to study abroad in order to be a Global Scholar?

No, Global Scholars are required to have a “Global Experience.” Studying abroad counts as this experience, but global scholars can alternatively choose to take a FLTA taught language class, become a cultural friend for international students, volunteer in a local cultural community, etc. Study abroad is highly encouraged, but is not a requirement to be a Global Scholar.

Can I study abroad if I have a disability?

Davidson-Davie will work with every student to try and make study abroad possible.  However, depending on your disability, it may not be feasible.  The ADA does not apply outside of the U.S. and all participants are required to walk long distances and manage their own luggage.  Trip leaders are not allowed to physically assist students.  

If I drop out, is any of the money I paid refundable?

Most of Davidson-Davie’s study abroad programs require a non-refundable deposit of $200. (Due to the current situation with COVID-19, deposits will be refunded if a program does not run.)  Each study abroad program has its own cancellation policies and dates.  Be sure you understand the policy and dates for your program before enrolling.  In general, the closer to the program, the less likely we are to be able to refund money.

Are there study abroad scholarships?

Yes! There are 2 different sources for study abroad scholarships:

  1. Davidson-Davie Funded Scholarships: Each year we usually receive funding from 3 different sources, including the Davidson-Davie Foundation, SGA/Student Services, & TRiO. From this funding, partial scholarships (typically ranging from as little as $250 up to $1000, & sometimes more!) are available to assist students in traveling abroad through a Davidson-Davie program, and are awarded as the final payment. If awarded a scholarship, the student must pay all required out-of-pocket expenses up front by the payment deadlines in order for the scholarship to kick in. There are usually specific scholarships for students in a nursing program, as well as students in the TRiO Program! Davidson-Davie Scholarship Application
  2. Gilman Scholarship: If you receive a Pell grant, you may be eligible for the Benjamin A. Gilman Scholarship. If awarded, this scholarship may cover up to the entire cost of one of the study abroad programs, as long as the specific trip is at least 2 weeks in duration. Please note: You will have to pay for your trip in full before knowing whether or not you’ve received the Gilman Scholarship. For more information, including how to complete the Gilman Scholarship application, please visit the Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship website.

What are other ways I can fund my study abroad program?

Start planning and saving as soon as you can! Create a budget and calculate what it will take to reach your goal. Do you need Starbucks every morning? Do you really need to buy the new PS5? Ask your relatives for donations as a birthday gift. Create a GoFundMe and share it on your Facebook page. Hold a bake sale at your church. Ask your neighbors if they need their lawn mowed. The small opportunities and donations may seem insignificant compared to your goal, but it will add up.

Will I need a passport?  How do I get one?

Yes, you will need a passport to travel into any country outside the United States. If you’ve never had a passport before, you can apply for one by filling out a Passport Application form through the Travel.State.Gov website. You will need to submit the form in person at a local passport acceptance facility (ex. post office, library, court house). Bring proof of U.S. citizenship, and government issued photo ID, a passport photo, and fee payment ($145). If you are renewing your passport, you do not necessarily need to go in person.

How long does it take to get a passport?

It can take 6 to 8 weeks to get a passport. If you pay for expedited service, it can take 2 to 3 weeks. Passport processing is currently taking longer than usual due to COVID-19 (10-12 weeks).

Will I need a visa? How do I get one?

Most countries will not require U.S. citizens to obtain a visa for short-term study abroad.  However, there are some exceptions such as China and Russia, for example. If you do need a visa for a specific program, your study abroad leaders will inform you and walk you through the process. Check the State Department website for information about visa requirements and costs for specific countries.

What is included in the program fee?

Most program fees include the cost of airfare, accommodations, ground transport, all group excursions, travel insurance, and some meals. However, each study abroad program will vary slightly so check the specific program page on the Davidson-Davie Study Abroad website for more information.

Why should I study abroad? How will it help me in the future?

Because it’s fun! Past program participants all say that study abroad is a life-changing experience. Studying abroad helps develop personal and professional development. Experience other countries firsthand, work with diverse groups of people, better understand the interconnectedness of the modern world, give your résumé a competitive edge, and so much more! 

What kind of money do I need in another country?

Every country has its own currency (kind of money.) Here is a list of world currencies. You will need to exchange American dollars for the local currency.  You can do that before departure or once you arrive in the country.

How do I get their currency?  How long does it take?

You can get the currency from your bank or at a money exchange or ATM at the airport when you arrive.  When you get the currency from your bank, it can take anywhere from 1- 4 weeks, so plan well in advance.  There is also a small fee for getting this currency.

How do I dress in other countries? 

You want to dress appropriately.  People in most countries outside the U.S. are slightly more formal in their dress. Typically they do not wear workout clothes, pajamas, or t-shirts outside of the house or gym. You should wear nice yet comfortable clothes for walking and sightseeing.  You don’t want to dress with the American flag or mid-drifts, politically charged t-shirts, etc.  Be modest in your dress as well. Your trip leaders will let you know how to pack specifically for your destination.

Do I need to learn how to speak the language?

No, you do not need to know how to speak that country’s language to study abroad. Trip leaders will be there to help you navigate. However, learning a few simple phrases before you travel shows a respect for the culture and could be helpful while in the country.

What are the rules about drugs and alcohol on study abroad programs?

Participants may drink alcohol in moderation, provided that they are of legal drinking age in the country. Participants under the age of 18 are not permitted to drink alcohol at all regardless of the in-country drinking age. There is a zero-tolerance drug policy on Study Abroad Programs, even in countries where a drug is legal.

What could get me sent home at my own expense?

Participants may be sent home at their own expense if they:

      • violate the policy on drugs
      • drink excessively
      • violate the study abroad program rules, the Davidson-Davie Student Code of Conduct, or the local law
      • consistently ignore verbal warnings about mildly inappropriate conduct
      • engage in inappropriate sexual behavior
      • behave in a manner unbecoming to the college
      • do not participate in all study abroad program activities

Can I travel with my significant other?

Participants can travel with their significant others. Spouses and unmarried couples 23 years old and above can share a room. Younger couples will need to sleep in separate rooms.