Scholars of Global Distinction
The mission of the Scholars of Global Distinction program is to develop engaged global citizens who are prepared to be successful in our increasingly interdependent world. Davidson-Davie recognizes students earning the Scholar of Global Distinction award at graduation and on the College’s official academic transcript.
WHY BE A GLOBAL SCHOLAR?
If you’re interested in the complexities and interrelationships among nations and peoples living in the 21st century, then this program was established to give you opportunities and incentives to learn more about global citizenry.
Benefits of Becoming a Global Scholar
As a global scholar, you will gain:
- A competitive edge in employment opportunities that you can highlight on your resume
- An academic distinction that will enhance your ability to transfer to the university of your choice
- A certificate of recognition and a letter from the Davidson-Davie college president
- A certificate of recognition from World View at UNC-Chapel Hill
- An opportunity to wear the global scholars graduation regalia
- An official designation on your academic transcript
- Cultural competence to enhance your personal and professional future
- Relationships and connections with people throughout the world
The Scholars of Global Distinction Program is fun! The program was established for students who want to explore the impact of culture, ethnicity, race, globalization, industrialization, environmental sustainability and access to natural and human resources through the courses they choose to take and the extracurricular activities in which they participate.
Signing up for the Global Scholars Distinction Program is simple:
- Carefully review the information on this site to become familiar with the program requirements
- If you have questions, contact the Global Scholars Program Coordinator, Bria Johnson at email@example.com
COMPLETE THE ONLINE APPLICATION
After you submit your application, the Global Scholars Coordinator will email you to set up an appointment to create your folder and track your progress toward completion
The Scholars of Global Distinction award is documented on the transcript of Davidson-Davie Community College graduates who:
- Complete 15 credit hours in courses designated as having globally intensive content with a grade of A or B
- Attend a total of eight international “Passport” events, ideally at least two per semester
- Participate in 30 hours of global experience through travel abroad or a domestic intercultural experience
- Complete an e-portfolio reflecting participation and growth in global learning opportunities
Globally Intensive Courses:
- All foreign language courses
- Other courses are considered inherently globally intensive, such as HUM 120, INT 110, REL 110, HIS 111, HIS 112, HUM 180, etc.
- Certain sections of other courses such as ENG 111, MAT 143, PSY 150, etc. which have been globalized by individual faculty members.
CURRENT LIST OF GLOBALIZED COURSES
Every semester, Davidson-Davie offers more than 30 “Passport Events” on a range of international topics. The intent is for Global Scholars to attend two international events per semester over a two-year period. Global Scholars will use a ‘passport’ to track these events. Passports are available in the International Education Center (Sinclair 123) or at the Student Information Desk (Brooks Student Center)
The 30-hour global experience requirement may be met through travel abroad or a local intercultural experience/service. Davidson-Davie offers several short-term study abroad opportunities each year. Students who cannot travel outside the country may complete a local project. Templates for different kinds of local-global experiences can be found under the Resources tab. The experience is expected to be transformative and prior approval from the Global Scholars Coordinator is required.
Each student in the program is expected to complete an e-portfolio. This is a way for you to reflect on your classes and passport events along the way using Google Sites. You’ll be able to use the portfolio as an example of your work in the future.
- The instructions for starting your e-portfolio
- A short video tutorial describing how to complete the e-portfolio
- An example of a completed e-portfolio
Global Experience Templates – Use these templates to guide you through the global experience of your choice.
360 Global Learning Experience
FLTA Taught Language
Narratives of Ireland Course
Research and Advocacy
Global Experience Activity Log – Use this form to track your hours toward completion of your global experience (not required for study abroad option.)