Study Abroad Scholarships
Partial scholarships (typically ranging from as little as $250 up to $1000, sometimes more!) are available to assist students in traveling abroad through a Davidson-Davie program and are awarded as the final payment. If awarded a scholarship, the student must pay all required out-of-pocket expenses upfront by the payment deadlines in order for the scholarship to kick in.
There are specific scholarships for students in a nursing program, as well as students in the TRiO Program!
Where are the different programs?
For the 2020-2021 school year, Davidson-Davie has an eligible program in South Africa. (Please note: the France & Russia summer study abroad opportunities have been canceled.)
For the 2021-2022 school year, Davidson-Davie will have eligible programs in Ireland, Japan, England, & possibly South Africa, Russia & France again (check back later for updates on S. Africa, Russia, & France)!
Who can apply for Davidson-Davie Scholarships?
Applicants will need to…
- complete a minimum of 12 credit hours by May 2021 and be still enrolled at Davidson-Davie Community College in Fall 2021 classes (for the Ireland trip) & enrolled in Spring 2022 classes (for the England, Japan, & any summer 2022 trips)
- commit to a Davidson-Davie study abroad program during fall 2021 (for Ireland) or spring 2022 (for England & Japan)
- be a current curriculum student at the time of travel, including enrollment in the trip’s accompanying course.
Preference is given to applicants showing solid academic achievement, as evidenced by a GPA of at least 2.5, and to participants in the Scholars of Global Distinction program, but consideration will be given to the entire contents of the application, especially the essay. Applicants may also be asked to interview with International Education Committee members.
Deadline to Apply
The scholarship application deadline for the Ireland 2021 Study Abroad Program is May 15, 2021 by midnight.
The deadline for spring trips to England & Japan will be September 15, 2021, by midnight.
How to Apply
Complete the application form and essay as indicated below.
Your essay should respond to the following prompt and be approximately one page long, double spaced. You will then upload your essay in a Microsoft Word or PDF document.
- What study abroad program are you wanting to participate in, & why do you want to participate in the program you’ve chosen?
- How would receiving this award make it possible for you to achieve your academic, professional, and personal goals?
- How would this award help overcome obstacles that you face in pursuing study abroad?
- If you are awarded a scholarship, what is your plan to come up with the required out-of-pocket expenses that the scholarship does not cover?
- Please include your name on the document that you upload.
Scholarship applicants must have also completed the application for their chosen trip (see links under “Where Are the Different Programs?” above) in order to be considered for a scholarship.
If you have any questions, please email Kristi Louya at Kristi_Louya@davidsondavie.edu