Professional Learning Opportunities
Visit the Learning and Design professional learning calendar to see opportunities to engage with your colleagues. We welcome all participants! Have an idea for a session? Want to lead a workshop? Reach out to any member of the Learning and Design team.
The book club exists for faculty who are interested in discussing a chosen book with their colleagues. Books chosen in the past have been about teaching techniques (Teaching Students How to Learn, McGuire, Saundra,) and how the brain, once understood, tends to be unreliable when objective information is needed (Thinking Fast and Slow, Kahneman, Daniel). In the future, we may want to include books about current issues. The book club offers faculty an opportunity to engage intellectually and socially with their peers around an identified text.
If you are interested in participating in an upcoming Book Club, please reach out to Nathanael_Gough@davidsondavie.edu.
Effective Teaching Online Course
Effective Teaching Online is an extended online professional learning opportunity to help you design and deliver a great online course.
You’ll learn how to:
- Get your students off to a strong start from day one.
- Overcome the isolation and anonymity that can plague an online course.
- Design a visually appealing, easily navigable course page.
- Develop meaningful opportunities for active learning.
- Give effective feedback.
- Align learning objectives, content, and assessments so your students know what they are doing and why.
- Become a video ninja.
- Use our Q-Review tool to self-evaluate your course and get free instructional design assistance.
Duration: 9 weeks.
Where: Fully online via Moodle. Asynchronous with weekly due dates.
Time Investment: Approximately 3-4 hours per week.
How to Register: Simply complete the Effective Teaching Online registration form.
Why Take the Course?
- To become a better online instructor.
- To learn with and from your DCCC colleagues.
- Because successful completion is required for teaching online and hybrid courses at DCCC.
Getting Started in Moodle
Getting Started in Moodle is an online self-paced course designed to teach faculty how to use Moodle effectively. The course covers basic layout, navigation, editing, activities, resources and gradebook. The course can be completed in approximately 6 hours or less. All new faculty are added to this training course. If you are interested in the Getting Started in Moodle course, please reach out to Philip_Tietjen@davidsondavie.edu.
If you have ideas for new professional learning opportunities, please reach out to CTL@davidsondavie.edu.