Guiding Teaching Principles
- Effective teaching centers on facilitating student learning to meet the requirements of a changing global economy.
- Effective teaching is inspirational, providing clear expectations for students regarding learning goals, course policies and assignments
- Effective teaching encourages students to engage in critical thinking, reflective reasoning, problem solving, collaboration, and application.
- Effective teaching helps students understand how course content is relevant to them and their community throughout their lives, preparing students for enhanced career and educational opportunities
- Effective teaching fosters a collegial and dynamic process in which faculty share and learn strategies and approaches focused on improving student learning.
- Effective teaching infuses a culture of assessment of student learning into the instructional environment to inform improvements in curriculum, pedagogy, resources and student success.
Online/Remote Instruction Resources
Below are some resources with tips for communicating with students, delivering instruction, and assessing learning online.
- Completing a Face-to-Face Course Online Following a Campus Mandate
- Keep Teaching During Prolonged Campus or Building Closures (Indiana University)
- ACUE Online Teaching Toolkit (Association of College and University Educators)
- Bringing Your Course Online (Modern Language Association–tips relevant to all disciplines)
- Free coaching for transitioning to online teaching from NC State’s Belk Center for Community College Leadership and Research
Found a Useful Resource?
If you have found a useful website, tool, or resource during our transition to online/remote instruction, please share it with your colleagues.
8-Week Calendar Resources
In this Google Drive 8-Week folder, you will find a separate sheet for the first 8-weeks, second 8-weeks, and the full term. This resource can be helpful as you are transitioning your course to the 8-week format.