Center for Teaching & Learning (CTL)
What we do
The Center for Teaching & Learning is faculty-led, faculty-driven, faculty owned and is committed to the continual professional learning and growth of educators. The CTL supports a culture in which all full-time and part-time faculty are empowered to share their expertise, inspire and cultivate a community of learners in service to student success.
The Center for Teaching and Learning supports, promotes, and enhances teaching effectiveness by providing relevant, equitable, and innovative professional learning in accordance with the college’s values and guiding teaching principles, and in so doing, fosters inclusive faculty engagement and collegiality.
Guiding Teaching Principles
- Effective teaching centers on facilitating student learning to meet the requirements of a changing global economy.
- Effective teaching is inspirational providing clear expectations for students regarding learning goals, course policies and assignments.
- Effective teaching helps students understand how course content is relevant to them and their community throughout their lives, preparing students for enhanced career and educational opportunities.
- Effective teaching encourages students to engage in critical thinking, reflective reasoning, problem-solving, collaboration and application.
- Effective teaching fosters a collegial and dynamic process in which faculty share and learn strategies and approaches focused on improving student learning.
- Effective teaching infuses a culture of assessment of student learning into the instructional environment to inform improvements in curriculum, pedagogy, resources and student success.
Professional Learning Opportunities
Adjunct Faculty Spaces
Come utilize our dedicated adjunct faculty workspaces located across both Davidson and Davie campuses.
Davidson Campus Offices
Health Sciences Center 117
Davie Campus Office
Health & Tech Building 11
CTL Advisory Board
2022-2023 CTL Advisory Board
- Faculty at Large: Michael Liu (Chemistry, Davidson)
- Arts, Sciences, Business, & Technology: Grant Jolliff & Aaron Prillaman (English, Davidson & Music, Davie & Davidson)
- Davie: Kevin Hathcock & Katrena Wells (Mathematics & Physical Education)
- Health Sciences: TBD
- Workforce and Community Engagement: TBD
- Teaching, Learning, & Global Engagement: Amy Holmes (Digital Accessibility & UDL)
- Faculty Chair: Gloria Johnson (Mathematics, Davidson)