Ready To Graduate?
Class of 2021, it's Finally Here!
The year you’ve been waiting for as you earn your degree, diploma or certificate…and the opportunity to participate in our graduation ceremony.
In-person. Online. Hybrid. Three ways to participate this year, modified to reduce the spread of COVID-19. To cross the stage in person during your chosen time slot with your guests watching safely from a distance, you must complete the In-Person Participation Form.
- Complete the In-Person Participation Form by March 22
- Order your cap and gown by April 18
- Choose your time slot by May 1
- Graduate on May 14
Make sure all official transcripts from any institutions you have attended have been received by Davidson-Davie Community College.
Confirm through your StormTrac account that an application has been filed on your behalf by our Records Office. If an application has not been submitted on your behalf, contact your advisor immediately.
Complete the In-Person Ceremony Participation Form to let us know whether or not you plan to participate in the 2021 In-Person Ceremony.
A black Cap & Gown are required to participate in the In-Person ceremony. Order online at Herff Jones. Search Davidson-Davie Community College.
Your name will be printed on your credential as it appears on your StormTrac account. Diplomas will be mailed to the address on file in StormTrac.
Please read and save emails you receive regarding the 2021 In-Person Ceremony option. You will receive specific instructions on how to sign up for a time to walk and what to expect on the day of the commencement ceremony.
Attend the Graduation Ceremony on May 14, 2021 if you completed the In-Person Ceremony Participation form and signed up for a time slot. Your degree, diploma and/or certificate will be mailed to you within 4-6 weeks after the last day of the semester.
Date: Friday, May 8, 2020
Time: 6:30 p.m.
297 DCC Road, Thomasville, NC 27360
Ceremony to be held in front of the Mendenhall Building
Confirm Your Participation in the Ceremony
The deadline for completing the Graduation Ceremony Form is March 15, 2020. If you have questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Even if you do not plan to walk in the ceremony, you must complete the form.
Caps & Gowns (Regalia)
By April 1, order your cap and gown at collegegrad.herffjones.com, then pick up and pay for in DCCC bookstore by May 7.
- On the day of the ceremony, bring the cap and gown you purchased at the bookstore, ironed (follow ironing instructions carefully) and ready to wear with your tassel.
- Associate Degree graduates will also bring their hood, which you ordered with your cap and gown.
- Approved regalia for student organizations, leadership, honor societies and other areas of distinction that may be worn to include the following. (Students can wear up to 5 cords and 1 stole)
- Purchase in the campus bookstore
- See SGA advisor
- National Society of Leadership and Success
- Purchase on the NSLS website or see NSLS advisor
- See Ambassador Advisor
- Scholars of Global Distinction
- Purchase in the campus bookstore
- Pick up at one of the graduation information sessions
- Stop by the TRIO department, 2nd floor of the LRC
If you will be walking in the 2020 commencement (graduation) ceremony, it is mandatory that you attend one of the two graduation rehearsal/information sessions.
The sessions will be held in the Mary E. Rittling Conference Center on:
- May 5 at 6 p.m.
- May 6 at 9 a.m.
DCCC anticipates fair weather; however, graduation will occur, rain or shine. If it is raining, students will be given ponchos. Guests should plan accordingly. Umbrellas are not allowed during the ceremony. They will disrupt sight lines to the stage.
- Arrive at the Brinkley Gym on the Davidson Campus by 5:15 p.m. to check in and to line up according to your school of learning and program of study.
- Only those students who have applied for graduation and whose record has been verified for graduation may participate in the ceremony.
Checking In Process at the Gym
- A staff member will provide you with a color-coded Name Card with your credentials and honors (if applicable). The color indicates your school and program.
- Proofread this card very closely for proper spelling; the person checking you in will make any needed changes. This is the only opportunity to make changes.
- Take your name card to the Deans’ Table and share the correct pronunciation of your name – particularly, if your name is often mispronounced.
- You will give this card to the announcing Dean when crossing the stage. Please make sure to keep this card with you at all times and do not bend it. Do not lose it.
- Beige photo card – please complete it and carry it along with your name card. It will be collected once you cross the stage and approach the photo area.
- Make a final check of your gown and regalia to make sure it is on correctly. Staff will be available to assist you. If eligible, pick up honors tassels at check in.
- Your tassel hangs from the right side of the cap throughout the entire ceremony until the SGA President instructs graduates to move the tassel to the left.
- Position your cap evenly on top of your head and wear it throughout the entire ceremony.
- Review the Caps and Gowns section below.
Processional & Seating
- Once students are placed in line properly, students will proceed from the gym to the Child Development Center (CDC) to begin the ceremony.
- A DCCC staff member will direct you to your chair. Be sure you stand in front of that chair.
- Remain standing until instructed to sit.
- A program will be in your chair.
Walking Across the Stage
The Vice President will tell each program when it is their time to stand.
- Approach the stage.
- Hand colored card to the person at the top of the stairs.
- Wait until the announcer calls your name (as it appears on the card.) Note: All your Degrees/Credentials may not be called, but they will all be listed in the program.
- Walk toward Dr. Hartness.
- Accept your diploma with your left hand while shaking Dr. Hartness’ hand with your right hand. Try not to rush – as a photographer will get your photo at this moment!
- Exit stage to photo area with your photo card. (While all students have this photo taken, you do not have to purchase them.) Proofs will be available online at www.gradimages.com about 48-72 hours after the ceremony. Please direct all photo inquiries to Chappell Graduation Images.
- Proceed to your seat as instructed.
- Marshals will lead you out of the ceremony area one row at a time.
- Your guests should stay seated until all Faculty and Graduates have recessed out of the ceremony area.
Personal Attire & Other Recommendations
- Men – dark slacks, dark shoes, shirt and tie under your gown.
- Women – dress with low heel shoes (may be walking in grass and climbing steps).
- Leave personal belongings with family or locked in your car; there will not be a place to leave items in the gym.
- Silence your cell phone during the ceremony.
- Remember to wear sunscreen.
- Leave your sunglasses in your chair when walking across the stage.
- You’ll find picture proofs online at www.gradimages.com within 48-72 hours after the ceremony. Please direct all photo inquiries to Chappell Graduation.
Honors & High Honors
- Honors: GPA between 3.5 and 3.79
- High Honors: GPA between 3.8 to 4.0
- The determination of Honors or High Honors will be based upon the cumulative GPA of the previously completed semester.
Diplomas & Transcripts
- You will receive a black diploma case on stage. This case will not have your diploma in it.
- Diplomas will be mailed after the Commencement Ceremony.
- If you completed your graduation application prior to completing up to your last 6 credit hours so you could walk in the 2020 Commencement Ceremony, you will receive your diploma AFTER you have completed all program requirements.
- Completion of your credential will show on your transcript by May 31 as long as you have completed all the requirements to graduate.